Thursday 10 October 2013

Manchester Art Gallery

I went to visit the Manchester Art Gallery to get more of a feel for classic paintings. I had never really paid much attention to them, but now learning about them and how big photographers have used paintings to influence there own work I started looking properly and analyzing. I looked at how paintings were cropped, the colours used, where the light was coming from, was it in a symbolic way? What was the story? what was the artist trying to get through? I made notes and sketches on my favourite pieces and bullet points of key techniques. I found I love Nordic and Scandinavian painting aswell! Something about their neutral tones and seascapes, the lighting and colours really appeal to me and go hand in hand with the effect I want to give. However after looking at these paintings I think they may be a bit too hard to work with, I just can't visualise the photographs I will take based on these. I'll keep looking for a certain genre or stye to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment