Tuesday 8 April 2014

Second film stills experiement











So since my last experiment I have been looking for more offsetting, surreal, ambiguous and tense images, here are some screen shots that are definitely beginning to show those qualities. What I think discerns these images between other ones I have seen and not liked as much is the fact that the viewer knows there could be a context, although it doesn't feel like it. There is a fine line between a picture simply being random and surreal for the sake of it, and an image appearing to be random but it is plausible to be part of a narrative or context which it ha been ripped out of. In this way it is interesting to look at because not only do you wonder about the image but you wonder what was happening before and after that specific shot in a movie, I think this creates the tension I am looking for. Next I will continue to find film stills and build up a collection that I can shoot from as references, this is important to note because I will not be exactly copying them but appropriating them to my style and my vision, maybe work it out so they all follow the same narrative? I will also start looking at the option of building these images together to embody a sort of still film, frame by frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment