Monday 20 January 2014

Alec Soth



What I particularly like about Alec Soth's images is the colour co-ordination, strange subjects and light. In the first picture we can see how all the colours are similar, creating a simple composition without a huge amount of colours to distract the viewer; this is the same premise as black and white photography. In the second picture the strangeness is subtle; a normal living room environment, you can imagine a cute old couple living there apart from when your eye is drawn to the top shelf magazine lying on the floor. In this way the whole aspect of the image is offset, creating an interesting composition. The final picture is of a towel shaped into two swans I think. I like this because its one of those things we can glance over easily and not recognise its beauty; when we truly look at the world around us there is a lot of weird, wonderful and beautiful things lurking beneath the surface. In a state of sleep deprevation I feel like I can notice these things more, I also take pictures of things that aren't any of these things, but to me at the time do look strange. While I am photographing I will have to try and record these feelings and reasons behind them as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment