Friday 17 January 2014

Sigmund Freud's 'Study of the Unconscious'

Following on from the post about Geoffrey Chaucer's problems I decided to look into how things I read and see can plant themselves in my unconscious and re-emerge in my photography. So why do I take pictures of certain things? Why would something I see compel me to record it? Freud theorised that the mind can be split into three parts
  1. The conscious - everything we are aware of, full control and includes our memories to be pulled into awareness at any time.
  2. The preconscious - representative of ordinary memory, not always aware of it but can be pulled into consciousness at any time.
  3. The unconscious - reservoir of feelings, thoughts, and memories that outside of our conscious awareness. Most of the contents of the unconscious are unacceptable or unpleasant, such as feelings of pain, anxiety, or conflict. According to Freud, the unconscious continues to influence our behavior and experience, even though we are unaware of these underlying influences. 
So to Freud, as we are going about our everyday activities our unconscious can suddenly spark up in response to something, making me recognise a potential photograph because it symbolises something to me personally. In this way it doesn't feel like I'm just running around with my camera taking pictures of things, the images will have deeper meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment